Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Ilium

As I've stated before, I recently made a relatively-legal-by-society-standards kopis, which is a sword weilded by the ancient Greeks, the Spartans in particular (a city-state which I greatly admire). Also, about a year ago I purchased a Corinthian helm, the accepted style of head protection of the same proto-Greco tribe, and have recently made it battle-ready, save for the inclusion of a chin strap, which I may just borrow from my previous, inferior helm, though I beileve I'll make a new, special one. I'm also creating a new set of armor for myself, one that is more appropriate for an ancient Hellenic.

And, finally, reading the Great Western War scenarios for the great battle in less than a month, I've learned that the entire war, the entire war, is going to be a re-enactment of the Trojan War. There are ship-to-ship battles crossing the Aegean, there are beach stormings, there are champion battles, there are sackings.

I... I think I'm wet.

With my new fighting regalia, my adoration of anything ancient Greek, and the Mrs. coming full-force with me in chitons and klammys aplenty... it's going to be the best war I've ever been to. I guarantee it.

So... how best to honor this occasion? What's the best way to pay homage to this incident that holds such a place of fascination within this ivory dome? How will I show my rapture at the chance to actually fight the Trojan War?

Simple. I will build a trojan horse.

I have begun construction on the thing which, when finished, will not quite be life-sized, but will still get the point of "horse" across, as well as serve as a table for us back at camp until we put it in front of the gates of Troy. The head is removable, so it won't get in the way. Once finished, I will, of course, include pictures. Which brings me to another interesting development.

The Mrs. and I recently adopted. I know, I seem young and irresponsible, but we both couldn't turn away once we saw his shining face, and decided that he would be ours and that, together, we would care for him and keep him as our own. True, it's a little difficult getting used to having him around, but he's so much reward for such relatively little adjustment. I had to admit that I was nervous when we first brought him home. I didn't know how to hold him or if I might hurt him if I did something wrong (I have a tendency to be rough with delicate things), but they prove to be a lot more forgiving than you might think, and now we play together all the time, and I'm no longer afraid of damaging his little form. The Mrs. and I couldn't be happier, and I can't wait to watch, over the years, how much richer he is going to make our lives.

PowerShot SD300 DIGITAL ELPH [A] 
DIGITAL IXUS 40 [E] IXY DIGITAL 50 [J]

His name is Digital Jones. He weighs 130 grams and is 86 mm long.

...

I totally cut out all my armor, my new cuirass and pteruges, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to fix it up, boil it and all, before war. If not, Ainwulf said I might be able to do it at war, which I don't necessarily think is plausible, and yet am extremely excited about the possibility of doing. The idea of going to war, and only then making the equipment I would so desperately need for it is exceedingly appealing to me. I need to boil it in water, shape it, emboss it (if at all possible), then carbouli it, and then I will have a gorgeous, flexible, muscled cuirass.

THEN, I need to bevel and dye all my peices for my pteruges, rivet every other pteruge (as they are) onto the main belt, get some ties and hopefully rivet some dished silver discs onto the end to give it a bit of flair.

And I need to give my helm a chinstrap. So I can fight in it. Desperately. And fix my kopis so's I can stabs 'em with it.

Everything else, except the horse, is pretty much taken care of. I have the clothes all done, I have housing set up, the boys are taking care of the wall that's going to go around the encampment, and I'm taking care of the stakes to hold the wall in place. I'm feeling fucking fantastic about this war. Even if I had to leave everything behind; the horse, the armor, the togas, the wall, everything; this would still be, I think, the best war we've had yet. Maybe I've just been watching Troy too much, reading Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea too often, but I simply can't wait.

...

Also, the Mrs. and I have been getting along fantastically lately. Initially, I think the stress of the event and trying to prepare for it got to us, but I recieved some extremely good advice and now we have no problems, we're getting along, we're tremendously happy, and I think we're just going to stay like this. The advice I got was that we're simply too young to take everything so seriously (not our relationship, but the things we fight over) and we should use thsi time to have fun, to be happy, not to waste it away screaming at each other (which we'd both always agreed upon, it being a collosal waste of time). With this in mind, we're much calmer now, and we smile a lot more, and things aren't so fragile when we're around each other. There's no more danger of us tearing each other's heads off because we're tired. Revelatory, really.

All in all, I'm happy, which is a hell of a thing. I think I go through these moods (which, a machine in a Disneyland store in Frontierland once told me, is due to my biorhythms) wherein it's much easier for me to see the happy qualities of things, which inevitably give way to the moods that let me see the bad. Right now, everything's aglow. Everything's lined up. Post Office was a fantastic book, war's in less than a week, I have a pretty good job (even if parts of it irk me to no limit) and school's going according to plan. I feel at peace. Maybe it's only because of the promise of war that I feel this way, I don't know.

I'm sure in a week or two I'll post with how awful this fucking job is and how much I want to strangle most people around me. I recently made, at work, a list of "People who can Straight Up Suck my Balls," which was a tour-de-force of absolute, fanatical hatred.

Sometimes I feel I hate so much, I need to share it with the world or I'll just explode.

...

In other news:

Starfish Hitler. STARFISH HITLER!!!



...

STARFISH HITLER!!!!

...

Starfish Hitler.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Ol' Peg Leg said...

Hey man, Be positive. Life is a drag, trust me I know. Hopefully in a coupla weeks we can BOTH be talking about how awesome life is.

This was a good post, There is alot in it I want to quote and talk about. But alas I am a VERY lazy, and sexy, person.

You are good people young Maxhopper. GOODNIGHT

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home