Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Devil's Curve

Were you aware there is a type of formula, such as this:




And that, when graphed, it creates a formation formally referred to as a "Devil's Curve", which looks something like this?:



The more extreme the numbers involved, the steeper the graphing specifications, the more the upright lemniscate in the center resembles an hourglass, such as on the belly of the deadly black widow. Such as the one Death keeps in His study; your name engraved on a small, affixed plaque, the grains of sand slowly draining away, slowly reaching the point where, whatever you do, the sand will run dry.

I think you could take most every precept in Calculus and attach the qualifier "Devil's" to the front. It's the Devil's Artihmetic. And, rather than doing the Devil's Extra Credit, I'm typing up a little expose' on the Devil's Graphing Conceits.

This is unwise, especially in consideration of the Devil's Midterm I'll be taking in nine hours. I could probably take a Devil's Derivative of that and figure out how much work needs to get done per hour, and how much change each workload would make in how much more of the Devil's Busywork I need to get done...

But that would be exactly what he would want. Pretty soon I'd be trying to play a golden violin in a battle for my soul. Or trying to figrue out the slope of the Devil's Tangent Line on a golden TI-83, or something.... I don't know.

As long as we're on the subject of the Devil's Favorite Pasttime, I thought I'd share with you this little tidbit. "xkcd" is a webcomic made by a mathematician, and a pretty sharp one at that. Not all the comics are about the Devil's Dingus, but many are, and even those are funny. For comics about cosines, love, and raptors, this is the go-to spot.

In addition(!), they put me in the show today for the first time over at Knights Incorporated. I mean, I've been in the show since day one. Literally, day one, following the person around whose job I would be doing the next day. However, I've been doing squire work, running around handing off swords and carrying off dead knights and operating complicated gaming mechanisms like "metal thing that goes in the other thing" and "flag." Today, I was in the show.

For real.

I got to run around wielding a sword and threatening intimidating people in black leather masks. Then I held a rope and a spear while a man on the other end of my rope got whipped within an inch of his life. It was quite the Wednesday.

There's a matinee tomorrow, which is a 9:45am call. To be honest, I didn't think they even made times that early. I didn't think most people needed any time until around noon. I guess it's like a bakery, people need it when it's fresh. I have an appointment to talk to someone over at Chap-Man, so I won't be able to get there until maybe half an hour after. I told my boss this. He said, "Okay."

FUCK I love my job.




She wants what's easy, not what's right.