Thursday, January 27, 2005

Labor Party

Sometimes, this job is too much fun.

I'm writing this while sitting at the admissions desk at work, the fools thinking me responsible enough to be left alone with any position of power for any length of time. I've already turned four people away at the door for being "inadequately attired."

Just kidding.

Case in point though, as to my initial stipulation, the Manager just called me here, at the front desk phone, and began spouting off one of the more drug-oriented speeches from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I think it appropriate that I write this particular event while at work, as the atmosphere here is obviously one that has cultivated these kinds of actions within me. True, to a large extent, what I'm about to transcribe is due to my general nature, a desire for showmanship and presentation, and as much attention as possible, but I can't say it happened solely because of me. "The Audience" always brings it out in me, regardless of what form it takes.

We have a 3-D Laser Show here at the Center, a few different shows actually run, and they involve still slides in 3-D with narration and lasers projected onto the screen. Really fun for the kids, even the ones who don't understand the concepts being discussed. Be it the intricacies of the human brain or the complex ecosystems we inhabit and effect, you get a few preschoolers in there who are simply drool-ridden over the pretty lights. And I quote such a child from earlier today, one of a group of 20 preschoolers, watching a laser diagram move over a map of the number of extinct species that we know to have directly had a hand in the eradication of, "That's pretty." Which is also a quote from another Laser Show, eerily enough.

Anyway, the Center runs on a paced schedule. While one group is going somewhere, another is taking its place, another is arriving, and another is leaving. Things need to keep clicking along or the whole train will get backed up. As such, I came down a little early to make sure the group ahead of me was on time getting out of the Laser Show (they were scheduled for one) so mine could move in apace.

As a came to the doors, I noticed the lights were on. I assumed that, even though I thought it to be slightly early, the show was over. I opened the doors and walked in to find at least two staff members standing there, inwardly unsure as what to do, while one of the more senior and respectable members was explaining to the completely full theater that he was going to see what was going wrong and for them all to stay seated and be patient. Looking at the screen, I could see that the still slides were still going, but the audio was out and the lasers were shut off. Sometimes the thing breaks down. This was new for me.

So I started acting the ass. I moved to the front of the theater and started dancing about, entertaining the kids, trying to keep them having fun regardless of the gross un-fun going on. I recognized the slides that were ont he screen, and just to keep the kids' attention, I started talking about the concepts illustrated by the slides. One of the little girls asked to have the lights turned off so we could see better, the parents agreed and, long story short, I did the whole show. Myself. I narrated the whole thing from that point on, and we had a ton of fun.

Weird thing was, I had the whole thing memorized. It was a little bizarre to start reciting verbatim the script from the show without ever knowing I could actually do it.

Anyway, no one complained, and a refund for everyone would have cost us a hundred at least. I feel good about it. Nice to know I still have something to give around here. Still a little bizarre to think that I could do that. Pues...

Too much fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home