Tuesday, December 26, 2006

KouramBadAss

Allow me to explain to you why my cousin is a genius.

My Uncle has four children, three of which I see on a regular basis at family functions and visits to Palm Springs. The other daughter is lost to us, spends her time with her mother who is estranged from our family and is, by all accounts, insane. As I've mentioned before, and recently, the three remaining children, who are all quite young, are joys to behold and have only grown moreso as they get older. Palmer, the oldest and perhaps most unfortunately-named offspring, is my only male cousin, and as such I treasure him as Dr. Jones Sr. treasured the Holy Fucking Grail. The kid is my legacy.

So I've been doing my best for him as my Uncle, his father, did for me, which is to allow him the influence of someone who will have no financial or moral responsibility to him once said influence begins to take effect in the manifested form of antisocial behavior and the general jackassery that makes me so wonderfully me. I have passed my torch on to him, and somewhere between the influence of my very, very affected family, my Uncle's unique style of parenting/education/life, and my own personal dash of eccentricity, the boy has turned out just as haphazard and enjoyable as humanly possible. True, he may have started out a bit wild, a bit of the jungle in his eye, but since the coming of the sisters and the relative maturity of a nine-year-old (or however old he is now... twelve? Does it matter before they're eighteen?) he has calmed down in the obnoxious and difficult department while running the furnace at full blast in the "Just Crazy Enough to be a Total Fucking Genius" department.

How do I know this, you ask?

For this Christmas, my cousin made me a sword.



This is perhaps my favorite Christmas present of them all. He found a piece of bamboo, lovingly shaped it's already somewhat conducive form into a workable handle and blade. Notice the clear separation of the hilt and tang. Notice the carefully placed fingerguard cleverly disguised as a particularly knotty outgrowth. He fashioned this weapon, and the decided, "You know, that kooky cousin of mine that shows up every now and then likes swords, and he works as a knight now. He might need a sword." He then told his father that he'd like to give it to me for Christmas, put a bow and a gift tag on the thing, and gave it to me. He's, like, three years old or something.

When I was that age, the family car was mine as far as I was concerned. I was not thinking of giving anyone anything. This child is beyond his years, people.

"But, Deadums, that doesn't really look like much of a sword."

Fuck you. Allow me to complete the illusion:



BOOYAKASHA! Imagine that thing cleaving into your helmet from horseback, blood spurting from the wounded steel, your family weeping over your stricken frame. Imagine lightning in the background.

It's as if I'm some kind of panda headless horseman. Headless horsepanda.

Look... just...

Picture a panda riding a horse, will you?

...

So yes. Those kids are my pride and joy, and I take full credit for any positive traits they've managed to harvest from during my sporatic and unannounced visits. I have a Greater Theory of Artisans of which I believe the boy will become the eventual progenitor. I think that all the raw talent someone gets exposed to coagulates within them and is passed down to whoever they happen to influence at a young age, and so on and so forth down the artistic evolutionary line until eventually you reach a point of creative critical mass and a true artist is born. It begins with my grandfather and his nebulous ability to play any instrument without instruction and any song without practice, and that filters down to his son, my Uncle, with his pending PhD in Norse Literature, his novels, and his general justified pedantry, who in turn influenced me, with my uncontrollable personality disorders and rampant intellectualism. All of these things feed each other and, eventually, when given a fresh young mind, feed the new vessel until you end up with Palmer, who will become a true savant. He will be the acme of our cumulative creative evolution. He will be the sapiens sapiens of our developmental line. He will succeed where we all have failed, for he stands on the shouders of short, hairy giants.

Christmas this year centered around buying presents two days before the holiday itself and cooking. Between those two activities and working, I was happy to get anything done at all. Fortunately, I got both the Eve and the Day off of work, and was able to spend time with my family which I sorely missed after having been absent on Thanksgiving (riding horses, slaying dragons... etc.).

For some reason, we had an extra turkey from somewhere. I think my mother spotted a sale, and my mom around a sale is like a panda around a horse. He's not just going to stand there and let the thing go to waste. No, he's going to make use of the damn thing.

So we had a turkey, and I had a father who didn't want to bother cooking another turkey after the marathon that is a Greek Thanksgiving, so the task fell to me. Hey, Dead, could you cook the turkey?



Evidently, yes. Yes I can.

Fuck yes I can cook a turkey. I can cook the hell out of a turkey. And I dare say the fowl was fucking delicious.

But the culinary saga does not end there. While looking through our cooking supplies and unearthing long-forgotten plate-packaging and ancient menorah candles (from... back when we were Jews... I guess) I found a book of Greek recipes and, flipping through it, saw something that I thought would be neat to make for the family Christmas party. I have them every year at the Greek festival, they're something of a mainstay in Greek cookie cuisine, and apart from the fact that I had to replace Mastiha with almond liquer and brandy (mastiha, apparently, is only made on the small island of Chios in some distant part of the Greek archipelago... or the 'Greekapeligo' as I've come to call it just now) I straight up made kourambiedes from scratch.



These are what's left over at my house, let alone the plate that I took to the family's dinner. Suffice to say, they went over quite well. The anglicized name for the Greek 'kourambiede' is "Butter Cookies with Confectioner's Sugar" which, while a filthy exeno expression, is wholly accurate. They are essentially a buttery conveyance for large amounts of piled-up powdered sugar, which has a tendency to choke you to death if you breath wrong while eating one. Mine, however, were light and creamy, and with just enough powdered sugar to pay homage to the classic recipe without turning each individual pastry into a scale-model recreation of the Swiss Alps. Again, and I can't stress this enough, delicious.

The recipe yielded enough cookies to feed all of Lionidas' 300, which was slightly more than I expected, but was tons of fun to make between the scouring of the county in an attempt to track down the right liquor and the kneading of the dough to form the tasty treats. I cooked, I bought people presents, and I got myself a bad-ass Kenneth Cole dress shirt for the party. This was, essentially, the extent of my involvement with the yuletide season this year.

As for my haul, I made out pretty alright. The stand-out offerings, apart from the superlative bamboo sword, were a bottle of wine from the master horse trainer at the Times, a DVD of the second season of Black Books, a miniature accordion of the exact same manufacture as the one on which I originally composed the shanty "I'm Like the Sea," and a nice pair of gloves from Nordstrom which are so fine, so dextrous, that I can literally play the guitar flawlessly while wearing them. It's like you're not wearing gloves at all. Beautiful.

Not to mention the extremely expensive, high-end electronics I have coming in the post. But that's a whole other... thing. Isn't it.

It was great to see my family. I miss them terribly, and jump at the chance to get to spend time with them. This particular get-together was especially eventful as it was announced, reluctantly and with a bit of clairvoyance to anyone within earshot of my loud and chatty father, that my cousin is getting married to her boyfriend-cum-fiance'. My Uncle, in a shocking play of thunder-stealing, also made his announcement that he and his live-in Mormon would be tying the knot. Everyone's getting married, everyone's smiling and laughing and drinking champagne. I didn't have any. For some reason.

My cousin looked so happy. I talked to the beau, who's a good Greek boy that's been skulking around the family do's for a couple years now, and finally got some one-on-one time with him, really felt him out. I wasn't letting my cousin marry just any old Greeky-come-lately. Turns out, he's an alright dude, and we got along famously left to our own devices. There's so much to look forward to, it's easier not to dwell on the fact that the holiday's already over. I'm actually looking forward to the wedding. It might be in Greece. I can't wait. I'll need to bake some cookies.

I'll need to buy another shirt.






I swear to Christ I found this after I wrote this entry. O Internet, is there anything you don't have some cockamamie representation of?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

doudoune canada goose, moncler, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, coach outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, moncler, pandora charms, moncler, pandora charms, replica watches, pandora jewelry, marc jacobs, moncler, canada goose, links of london, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose, pandora jewelry, hollister, sac louis vuitton pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, canada goose outlet, ugg boots uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler outlet, bottes ugg, supra shoes, moncler, canada goose, canada goose, moncler, moncler, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, thomas sabo

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

converse outlet, longchamp, north face outlet, beats by dre, north face outlet, vans shoes, hollister, new balance, oakley, hollister, vans, mcm handbags, mont blanc, lululemon, timberland boots, instyler, ferragamo shoes, asics running shoes, herve leger, bottega veneta, hollister, gucci, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, wedding dresses, celine handbags, soccer shoes, reebok shoes, lancel, nfl jerseys, nike roshe, birkin bag, p90x workout, insanity workout, ray ban, jimmy choo shoes, mac cosmetics, ralph lauren, babyliss, montre pas cher, converse, karen millen, chi flat iron, nike air max, valentino shoes, ghd, baseball bats, toms shoes, louboutin, soccer jerseys

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nike air max, longchamp pas cher, tiffany jewelry, prada handbags, ugg boots, gucci outlet, nike outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, coach outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, burberry, jordan shoes, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, kate spade outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike roshe run, louis vuitton, kate spade handbags, replica watches, uggs on sale, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, michael kors, chanel handbags, longchamp, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, prada outlet, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet, nike free, air max, nike free, air jordan pas cher, sac longchamp, replica watches

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home